Re: How to determine a database is intact?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to determine a database is intact?
Date: 2004-09-08 14:11:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com> writes:
> There's more than 250 million rows. If I remember right, it's ballpark 25%
> data reload, 75% index/foreign constraint rebuild. Pg_dumpall is something
> like 3 hours or so.

FWIW, increasing sort_mem for the reload process would probably help
with the index and FK rebuilds. (8.0 rejiggers things so that the
memory constraints for these operations are driven off a separate
variable, but in 7.* you need to muck about with sort_mem. The
appropriate value for one-off operations is a lot higher than what
you would want multiple competing backends to be using.)