Re: [HACKERS] Planning final assault on query length limits

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Planning final assault on query length limits
Date: 1999-10-22 06:04:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru> writes:

>> Welcome to the small club, Tom. For the first 2 & 1/2 years, the only
>> person who could tackle those big jobs was Vadim. Now you are in the
>> club too.
>>
>> The problem is that there are no more. I can't imagine anyone is going
>> to be able to jump out of the woodwork and take on a job like that. We
>> will just have to do the best job we can, and maybe save something for
>> 7.1.

> There is Jan!...
> But he's busy too -:)

> Let's wait for 7.0 beta - "big tuples" seems as work for 2 weeks...

Thing is, if Vadim could do it in two weeks (sounds about right), then
maybe I could do it in three or four (I'd have to spend time studying
parts of the backend that Vadim already knows, but I don't). It seems
to me that some aspiring hacker who's already a little bit familiar
with backend coding could do it in a month or two, with suitable study,
and would in the process make great strides towards gurudom. This is
a fairly localized task, if I'm not greatly mistaken about it. And
there's plenty of time left before 7.0. So this seems like a perfect
project for someone who wants to learn more about the backend and has
some time to spend doing so.

A year ago I didn't know a darn thing about the backend, so I'm a bit
bemused to find myself being called a member of "the small club".
Programming skills don't come out of nowhere, they come out of study
and practice. (See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/loginataka.html)

In short, I'd like to see the club get bigger...