Re: pg_dump and backslash escapes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and backslash escapes
Date: 2006-05-17 14:31:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The basic issue is that we need to set standard_conforming_strings to
> 'off' for loading into newer releases, >= 8.2, but that SET command is
> going to generate an error even dumping/loading into the same version of
> PostgreSQL, like 7.3 to 7.3. I don't think we want that, do we?

Why are you worried? Have you counted how many SETs there are currently
that will generate errors in older versions of PG? As long as the older
backend will load the data correctly after rejecting the SET, there's no
functional problem, and I think trying to hide the error is a cosmetic
thing that will likely do more harm than good in the long run.