Re: Upgrading to newer Django? Reason for including django-selectable library in repo?

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Kalvin Eng <kalvin(dot)eng(at)ualberta(dot)ca>, pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Upgrading to newer Django? Reason for including django-selectable library in repo?
Date: 2020-03-03 22:16:09
Lists: pgsql-www

(Take 2 without prematurely sending. This is why I don't have nice things)

On 3/3/20 5:10 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi Kalvin,
>
> On 3/3/20 12:57 PM, Kalvin Eng wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm new to the community and looking to send a GSoC proposal for the
>> performance farm project
>> (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2020#Develop_Performance_Farm_Benchmarks_and_Website_.282020.29).
>
> Cool :)
>
>> One of the requirements was integrating the performance farm app with
>> pgweb to include already registered users.
>> So I had a look at the code for pgweb to understand the login flow for
>> integration.
>>
>> Upon looking at the code for pgweb, I'm wondering if these things should
>> be patched:
>>
>> * Upgrading to Django 2.2 LTS since Django 1.11 will no longer be
>> supported in April 2020
>
> Seems like a good idea. IIRC Magnus did some testing way back on 2.0
> (unless I'm imagining)

*I believe Magnus had tested it on 2.0 and it either mostly or all
worked. I don't think we've done too much wonky development on the
backend since the Python 3 move. Needs some thorough testing, of course.

>> * Remove django-selectable from the repo as it is available in pypi
>> (https://pypi.org/project/django-selectable/)

In production we use the system packages, so we'd have to ensure that
it's there first before removing it (which otherwise is why it'd be an
embedded dependency)

Thanks,

Jonathan