Re: new format for describe (repost #2)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new format for describe (repost #2)
Date: 2003-03-04 02:36:01
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I have done up a new way of dumping table data:

I don't care for the forced double quotes. Maybe if you double-quote
only identifiers that need it?

Upper-casing the keywords seems like a visual improvement.

I'm ambivalent about forcing the titles ("Indexes:" et al) onto their
own lines. It's more readable, maybe, but it makes the display take up
more vertical space. Having to scroll back negates any readability
improvement IMHO...

> Rules:
> "test_rule" AS ON INSERT TO users_users DO INSTEAD NOTHING;,
> "test_rule2" AS ON INSERT TO users_users DO INSTEAD NOTHING;

The semicolon-comma bit is weird-looking, and confusing. Maybe we
should lose the commas altogether.