Re: Extending outfuncs support to utility statements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extending outfuncs support to utility statements
Date: 2022-07-12 22:38:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> This is also needed to be able to store utility statements in (unquoted)
> SQL function bodies. I have some in-progress code for that that I need
> to dust off. IIRC, there are still some nontrivial issues to work
> through on the reading side. I don't have a problem with enabling the
> outfuncs side in the meantime.

BTW, I experimented with trying to enable WRITE_READ_PARSE_PLAN_TREES
for utility statements, and found that the immediate problem is that
Constraint and a couple of other node types lack read functions
(they're the ones marked "custom_read_write, no_read" in parsenodes.h).
They have out functions, so writing the inverses seems like it's just
something nobody ever got around to. Perhaps there are deeper problems
lurking behind that one, though.