Re: --enable-ccache configure option

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: --enable-ccache configure option
Date: 2018-05-04 22:21:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Andres Freund wrote:
>>> What exactly would it do? I use ccache all the time, have for years,
>>> but it's not clear to me what can usefully be done by configure.

>> Use ccache without having to set it up individually for CC, CLANG, CXX.

> Umm, I just add /usr/lib/ccache somewhere in PATH (ahead of the compiler
> binaries) which is enough to make it all work.

On my preferred distros (ie Red Hat), ccache is used automatically;
there is nothing that needs to be done in configure AFAIK. (It looks
like this happens by dint of the same thing Alvaro mentions, ie the
standard PATH has /usr/lib(64)?/ccache in front of the actual compilers.)
It'd be important not to break such setups in trying to make it happen
elsewhere.