Re: WIP Patch: Add a function that returns binary JSONB as a bytea

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Van <kevinvan(at)shift(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP Patch: Add a function that returns binary JSONB as a bytea
Date: 2018-10-31 12:02:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Van <kevinvan(at)shift(dot)com> writes:
> This patch adds a new function that allows callers to receive binary jsonb.
> This change was proposed in the discussion here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOsiKEL7%2BKkV0C_hAJWxqwTg%2BPYVfiGPQ0yjFww7ECtqwBjb%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com
> and the primary motivation is to reduce database load by skipping jsonb to
> string conversion (with the expectation that the application can parse
> binary jsonb).

I dunno, I do not think it's a great idea to expose jsonb's internal
format to the world. We intentionally did not do that when the type
was first defined --- that's why its binary I/O format isn't already
like this --- and I don't see that the tradeoffs have changed since then.
The format is complex, and specific to Postgres' needs, and we might wish
to change it in future.