Re: [HACKERS] User authentication bug?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] User authentication bug?
Date: 1998-08-02 01:27:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp2(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl> writes:
> I'm so happy to know this. It means I'm not stupid. But I think I get it
> just a little bit. There's a lot of handling there to be able to handle
> more than 1 connection at a time, so therefore function pointers are
> stored to remember were the next input packet it supposed to be handled.

Right, the postmaster keeps a function pointer in the data for each
connection (specifically, in the Packet struct declared in libpq-be.h)
that defines what to do next on that connection ("next" meaning after
the current packet send or receive operation has been finished).
It can be a little confusing but I doubt it's worth changing.

(On the other hand, I'm used to that sort of thing from a dank past
of writing interrupt service routines. If you're not, it might be
a lot confusing.)