Re: Rough sketch for locale by default

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rough sketch for locale by default
Date: 2002-03-27 17:26:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> [ good stuff snipped ]

> ... Also, it prevents accidentally changing the locale when you
> (or someone else) fiddle with your environment variables.

If I follow this correctly, the behavior would be that PG would not pay
attention to *any* LC_xxx environment variables? Although I agree with
that principle in the abstract, it bothers me that PG will be out of
step with every single other locale-using program in the Unix world.
We ought to think twice about whether that's really a good idea.

> Note that you get the same kind of command line options as in initdb:
> --lc-numeric, --locale, etc. You can also run SHOW lc_numeric to see
> what's going on.

Probably you thought of this already: please also support SHOW for the
initdb-time variables (lc_collate, etc), so that one can find out the
active locale settings without having to resort to
contrib/pg_controldata.