Help with JOINING 3 tables

From: Uro Gruber <uros(at)sir-mag(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help with JOINING 3 tables
Date: 2001-01-08 00:36:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

I have this 3 tables:

CREATE TABLE clients (
client_id CHAR(32) NOT NULL,
created TIMESTAMP DEFAULT 'now' NOT NULL,
modified TIMESTAMP DEFAULT 'now' NOT NULL,
username VARCHAR(12) NOT NULL,
.
.
PRIMARY KEY (client_id)
);

client_id username
1 u1
2 u2
3 u3

CREATE TABLE statistics (
created TIMESTAMP,
host INET NOT NULL,
stat_type CHAR(1), --possible value (v,c)
banner_id INTEGER NOT NULL,
);

stat_type banner_id
v 1
v 1
v 5
c 5
v 3
v 4
c 4
v 6
c 6
v 2
v 2
c 2

CREATE TABLE banners (
banner_id SERIAL NOT NULL,
created TIMESTAMP DEFAULT 'now' NOT NULL,
modified TIMESTAMP DEFAULT 'now' NOT NULL,
banner TEXT NOT NULL,
.
.
client_id VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (banner_id)
);

banner_id banner client_id
1 b1 1
2 b2 2
3 b3 1
4 b4 3
5 b5 1
6 b6 3

I want to count how many v or c are in table statistics for some
client.

something like this:

client_id views clicks
1 4 1
2 2 1
3 2 2

Is is possible to write some function or is it possible to do this
with some complex join or smth. I'm trying this for hours... no
luck:((
please help!

Thanks,
--