Re: log_destination=file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log_destination=file
Date: 2017-09-01 16:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
>> So what happens now with these messages? My understanding is that
>> they're missing from the CSV logs and are simply inserted into the
>> text logs without any log_line_prefix? The logging collector doesn't
>> recognize these messages and reformat them for the CSV logs does it?

> Yeah, that's pretty much it.

> Fixing that is also on my plan, but for later :)

Keep in mind that you've got to be really, really conservative about
adding functionality in the logging collector process. If it ever
crashes, we have problems. If memory serves, the postmaster is able
to restart it, but we cannot restore the original stdout/stderr
destination, which is problematic if that's where its output had
been going. So it's pretty close to being as mission-critical as
the postmaster itself.