Re: DB Tuning Notes for comment...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ss(at)technicalpursuit(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB Tuning Notes for comment...
Date: 2002-12-09 21:10:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Scott Shattuck <ss(at)technicalpursuit(dot)com> writes:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>> I don't think this is entirely true. On tables that have large numbers
>> of inserts, but no updates or deletes, you do not need to run vacuum.

> In my experience I've seen tables with numerous indexes continue to
> benefit greatly from vacuum/vacuum full operations when large volumes of
> inserts are performed. This is true even when the update/delete activity
> on the base table itself is manageable.

This is hard to believe, as VACUUM does not even touch the indexes
unless it has found deletable tuples --- and I am quite certain that
btree indexes, at least, do not do any VACUUM-time reorganization beyond
deleting deletable entries. (I wouldn't swear to it one way or the
other for GiST though.) Robert's opinion coincides with what I know of
the code.