Re: Server format and recovery

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
Cc: Márcio Aguiar Ribeiro <aguiar(dot)marcio(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server format and recovery
Date: 2008-04-25 14:51:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz> writes:
> Mrcio Aguiar Ribeiro wrote:
>> "FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
>> The database cluster was initialized with MAXALIGN 0, but the server
>> waas compiled with MAXALIGN 4." (translated from my language to
>> english by me)

> My first guess is that the new postgresql binaries are 64 bit but the
> old install was 32 bit. (I don't actually know the conditions for the
> MAXALIGN value)

That's what I'm guessing too; see the previous report here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2007-12/msg00254.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-01/msg00023.php

The symptoms are a bit different (eg, large value instead of zero
for MAXALIGN) but that's not too surprising considering that 8.1
and 8.2 have different sets of fields in pg_control.

You'll need to get binaries that matched your originals and then
reinstall the database from your backup.