Re: ldap tls test fails in some environments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ldap tls test fails in some environments
Date: 2020-05-15 14:02:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
> The slapd debug log is mostly garbage to me, the error seems to be
> this:
> ldap_read: want=8 error=Resource temporarily unavailable

Hm, so EAGAIN (although that's a BSD-ish spelling of the strerror
string, which seems pretty odd in a Debian context). I don't think
that's actually an error, it's just the daemon's data collection
logic trying to read data that isn't there. It then goes on and
issues a response, so this must not indicate that the request is
incomplete --- it's just a useless speculative read.

Somebody should get out the LDAP RFCs and decode the packet contents
that this log helpfully provides, but I suspect that we're just looking
at an authentication failure; there's still not much clue as to why.