Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: Andre Lopes <lopes80andre(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Raymond C(dot) Rodgers" <sinful622(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hosting Account with PostgreSQL and PHP?
Date: 2010-02-16 04:39:21
Lists: pgsql-general

John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com> writes:
> On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:23 PM, Andre Lopes wrote:
>> I have contacted again the support center on a2hosting.com and the answer was that is no manual creation of triggers on PostgreSQL, bu the guy have send to me a link with MySQL information about the subject,https://support.a2hosting.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=500
>>
>> There are more a2hosting customers here that can create Triggers?

> My guess is that the support person does not know what they are
> talking about.

Yeah, it certainly gives off a vibe of "doesn't know Postgres and isn't
interested in learning".

It's possible that what they give you is databases without any PLs
installed, and without either superuser or database owner privileges so
you can't install PLs yourself. In which case it'd be true that you
can't create any triggers either, but that would hardly be the first
reason why such a setup wouldn't be very acceptable. Seems more
likely that you just have a clueless support person.