Re: Intermittent failure in InstallCheck-C "stat" test

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Intermittent failure in InstallCheck-C "stat" test
Date: 2019-04-05 22:19:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Just now, and also once 5-and-a-bit days ago, flaviventris failed like
> this, as did filefish 41 days ago[1] (there may be more, I just
> checked a random sample of InstallCheck-C failures accessible via the
> web interface):

This sort of thing has pretty much always happened. I believe it is
just down to the designed-in unreliability of the current stats collection
mechanism. We might be able to get rid of it if we go over to
shared-memory stats, but I've yet to look at that patch :-(. In the
meantime I don't see any reason to think that anything's worse here
than it has been for many years.