Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2021-10-19 19:22:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> As far as I can tell the only OS that postgres currently supports that
>> meson doesn't support is HPUX. It'd likely be fairly easy to add
>> gcc-on-hpux support, a chunk more to add support for the proprietary
>> ones.

> Tom, wrt HPUX on pa-risc, what are your thoughts there? IIRC we gave up
> supporting HP's compiler on pa-risc a while ago.

Right. I am still testing with gcc on HP-PA. I'd kind of like to
keep it running just as an edge case for our spinlock support, but
I'm not sure that I want to do any huge amount of work on meson
to keep that going.

I do have a functioning OpenBSD installation on that machine, so
one alternative if the porting costs look too high is to replace
gaur with an OpenBSD animal. However, last I checked, OpenBSD
was about half the speed of HPUX on that hardware, so I'm not
real eager to go that way. gaur's already about the slowest
animal in the farm :-(

> As I said it'd probably not be too hard to add meson support for hpux on hppa,
> it's probably just a few branches. But that'd require access somewhere. The
> gcc compile farm does not have a hppa member anymore...

If you've got an idea where to look, I could add that to my
to-do queue.

In any case, I don't think we need to consider HPUX as a blocker
for the meson approach. The value-add from keeping gaur going
probably isn't terribly much. I'm more concerned about the
effort involved in getting meson going on some other old animals,
such as prairiedog.