Re: Enhanced index details using \d in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enhanced index details using \d in psql
Date: 2001-11-09 05:07:37
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
> Here is some sample output:

> bakery=# \d pizza

> Table "pizza"
> Column | Type | Modifiers
> -----------+-----------------------+-----------
> slicename | character varying(10) | not null
> crust | character varying(12) |
> topping | integer |
> Indexes: pizza_pkey primary key btree (slicename),
> watermelon unique btree (topping),
> apple hash (topping) WHERE (topping > 99),
> banana btree (crust),
> peach btree (lower(crust))

This looks great (not the code necessarily, I haven't read it yet,
but the output looks plenty cool).

However, since I was just an hour ago pontificating to the JDBC guys
about how we're in beta and we've got to resist the urge to add new
features, I must regretfully opine that I think it's too late to put
it in 7.2. It should be at the front of the line for 7.3 though.

A couple of things you might want to work on while waiting for the
7.3 development cycle to start:

1. \di probably should be extended as well. I haven't got any fixed
opinions about what its output should look like, but surely \di index
should convey at least as much info as \d parent provides. Right now
I don't believe it knows much about functional or partial indexes.

2. Documentation. There are probably examples of the use of \d and
\di scattered through the SGML docs. They need to be found and
updated.

Looks great so far!