Re: Call for objections: revision of keyword classification

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for objections: revision of keyword classification
Date: 2001-11-09 04:52:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> I'd hate to see it be us that makes life more difficult for
> ppl to make choices because we 'softened restrictions' on reserved words,
> allowing someone to create an app that works great under us, but is now a
> headache to change to someone else's RDBMSs as a result ...

Well, I could see making a "strict SQL" mode that rejects *all* PG-isms,
but in the absence of such a thing I don't see much value to taking a
hard line just on the point of disallowing keywords as field names.
That seems unlikely to be anyone's worst porting headache ...

Your question is valid though: do other RDBMSs take a hard line on
how reserved keywords are? I dunno.