Re: performance for insert / update

From: Catalin Constantin <catalin(at)bounce-software(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance for insert / update
Date: 2005-06-28 13:17:24
Lists: pgsql-general

this is my "schema" for the table with the "issue" !

# \d url_importance
Table "public.url_importance"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-----------+------------------+-------------------------------------
url_id | bigint | default nextval('url_id_seq'::text)
links_in | integer | default 0
links_out | integer | default 0
rank | double precision | default 0
"ak_url_id_key_url_impo" unique, btree (url_id)
Foreign-key constraints:
"fk_url_impo_reference_url" FOREIGN KEY (url_id) REFERENCES url(url_id) ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE

based on this table i calculate the "rank" for each page and the
reupdate the table.

on update it takes QUITE a lot time to make the update.

basically i am updating just a number which sould not be that resource
consuming !

is upgrading to 8.X a "solution" in this case ?

p.s.: i am not updating anything except the rank column !

--
Catalin Constantin
Bounce Software