Re: Subscription tests fail under CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2021-05-21 23:54:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> BTW, I wonder whether it wouldn't be a good idea for the
> postmaster to log something along the lines of "stopping
> because restart_after_crash is off". The present behavior
> can be quite mysterious otherwise (it certainly confused me).

Concretely, I suggest the attached.

While checking the other ExitPostmaster calls to see if any of
them lacked suitable log messages, I noticed that there's one
after a call to AuxiliaryProcessMain, which is marked
pg_attribute_noreturn(). So that's dead code, and if it
weren't dead it'd be wrong, because we shouldn't use
ExitPostmaster to exit a child process.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
log-explanation-when-postmaster-shuts-down.patch text/x-diff 1.6 KB