Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-26 20:13:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 02:46:43PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The alpha releases as currently constituted are practically the
>> exact opposite of what's being suggested here :-(. We are pushing
>> them out without very much advertisement, and certainly without any
>> formal program to encourage significant testing. That's more or
>> less forced by the decision that alpha releases should be
>> low-overhead, but I think we're unlikely to get wide-ranging test
>> coverage that way.

> How would you recommend that this change?

As far as the alpha releases go, I wouldn't --- I see no evidence that
we have the manpower to formalize them any more than they are now.
I do like the idea of trying to reach out to more beta testers and
manage that phase more aggressively. Maybe if we can make something
happen there, it would be possible to do the same for alphas later.