Re: Synchronize with imath upstream

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synchronize with imath upstream
Date: 2019-02-07 15:12:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 10:15:24AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't object to keeping imported code in a form that matches upstream
>> as best we can. (Should we also exclude such files from pgindent'ing?)

> I think it depends on how much time one spends merging upstream changes versus
> making PostgreSQL-specific edits. For IMath, both amounts are too small to
> get excited about. Does pgindent materially complicate src/timezone merges?

My practice with src/timezone is to pgindent the upstream code and then
diff it; given that extra step, it's not really any more complex (and
maybe less so, as this hides minor whitespace changes for instance).
There are some other deltas to worry about as well, see
src/timezone/README.

I have no particular opinion on whether pgindent should be part of the
mix for imath, but I do strongly recommend setting up and documenting a
reproducible import process, as I did for src/timezone.