Re: SLRU_BLCKSZ

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SLRU_BLCKSZ
Date: 2006-05-17 14:05:09
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Code changes to separate out the symbol for SLRU_BLCKSZ from standard
> BLCKSZ. Same reasons as for doing this for XLOG_BLCKSZ.

Have you done any benchmarking that shows this is a good idea?

My own thoughts on the subject have been along the line that pages for
different slru logs possibly need to be different sizes, so that eg
we could have more than 2K subtransactions per page. I'm not sure this
is worthwhile (is there any place in slru.c that depends on a fixed page
size for efficiency?) but it needs to be considered before we make
purely cosmetic changes in the area.