Re: odd psql behaviour on OSX

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: odd psql behaviour on OSX
Date: 2002-04-26 01:51:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> writes:
> gethostbyname(3) is specced to take a hostname and return hostent.
> If you pass it the string "192.168.1.1" it is specced to look up the
> *hostname* 192.168.1.1 and return the addresses associated with that
> hostname.
> This is hidden by the fact that some system resolver libraries
> recognise a query for a dotted-quad address and fake up a response,
> and still more so by some recursive resolvers that'll do the same
> thing.

In practice, it works on every platform I've ever heard of (as shown
by the fact that we've not gotten any complaints about psql being
unable to resolve numeric addresses --- at least not till this one).

More to the point, it *does* work on OS X too. I just tested it
yesterday. Why is it not working for Robert? Darn if I know.