Re: WAL recycling, Linux 2.4.18

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Glenn Stone <gstone(at)pogolinux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WAL recycling, Linux 2.4.18
Date: 2002-07-08 19:30:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com> writes:
> It seems that the MoveOfflineLogs takes very little time; "fin" returns
> almost immediately from it.
> However, between the breakpoint at CreateCheckPoint and the one at
> MoveOfflineLogs takes quite a bit of time.

Well, that's not unexpected; checkpoint is going to issue a deal of I/O
and then sync() it. But that should *not* cause blockage of other
backends; at worst they should slow down a bit due to I/O contention.

Can you do some more research on the stack traces of the stuck backends?
Don't assume they are all alike...