Re: Schema + User-Defined Data Type Indexing problems...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema + User-Defined Data Type Indexing problems...
Date: 2004-06-10 04:21:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I'm having a heck of a time, and it seems like in my thrashing about
> to find a solution to this problem I have ruined the uniqueidentifier
> datatype in the schema...

> CREATE INDEX mt_uuid_idx
> ON my_schema.my_table USING btree (my_uuid);

> ERROR: data type my_schema.uniqueidentifier has no default operator class for
> access method "btree"
> HINT: You must specify an operator class for the index or define a default
> operator class for the data type.

> I can look at the operator classes and see that there is an operator class for
> btree for my_schema.uniqueidentifier.

IIRC, the opclass has to be in a schema that is in your schema search
path to be found by CREATE INDEX by default. If it isn't, you could
specify it explicitly:

CREATE INDEX mt_uuid_idx
ON my_schema.my_table USING btree (my_uuid USING my_schema.uuidopclass);

It's possible that we could think of a more convenient behavior for
default opclasses, but I don't want to do something that would foreclose
having similarly-named datatypes in different schemas. You have any
suggestions?