Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "Justin Clift" <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Vince Vielhaber" <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Date: 2002-08-20 18:50:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> Would it be possible to update the system tables, so that cash_out does not take
> opaque but really takes type money ?

That is part of the solution, but only part: we have hundreds of
functions that take "opaque" because we don't currently have any way
to declare what they really take. (In particular, all the typinput
functions are like that --- so fixing typoutput functions isn't plugging
even half of the gap.)

See my proposal to make "opaque" obsolete.