Re: lost superuser perms

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Davide Bozzelli <buzzz(at)newtel(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: lost superuser perms
Date: 2002-06-21 14:25:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Davide Bozzelli <buzzz(at)newtel(dot)it> writes:
> I have lost the superuser permissions of postgres user.
> The postgres user does not have the "create user"
> and "create database" permission .
> Are there a way to recover this permissions without
> the recreation of the cluster database ?

If you are using 7.2, shut down the postmaster, start a standalone
backend and issue the proper ALTER USER commands to restore postgres'
superuserdom. (There is info about running a standalone backend on
the 'postgres' man page and the 'REINDEX' man page.)

In prior releases I think you may be out of luck, unless you want to
risk manual surgery on the pg_shadow file.