Re: patch: tsearch - some memory diet

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, PostgreSQLHackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: tsearch - some memory diet
Date: 2010-10-06 17:40:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think it would be cleaner to get rid of checkTmpCtx() and instead
> have dispell_init() set up and tear down the temporary context,

What I was thinking of doing was getting rid of the static variable
altogether: we should do what you say above, but in the form of a
state struct that's created and destroyed by additional calls from
dispell_init(). Then that state struct could also carry the
infrastructure for this additional hack. It's a little more notation to
pass an additional parameter through all these routines, but from the
standpoint of understandability and maintainability it's clearly worth
it.

> void NISetupForDictionaryLoad();
> void NICleanupAfterDictionaryLoad();

More like

NISpellState *NISpellInit();
NISpellTerm(NISpellState *stat);

> ...but I don't really see why that has to be done as part of this patch.

Because patches that reduce maintainability seldom get cleaned up after.