Re: pgsql: Build src/port files as a library with -fPIC, and use that in li

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Build src/port files as a library with -fPIC, and use that in li
Date: 2018-09-28 13:13:56
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
> Re: Tom Lane 2018-09-27 <E1g5Y8r-0006vs-QA(at)gemulon(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
>> Build src/port files as a library with -fPIC, and use that in libpq.

> This made the "pqsignal" symbol disappear from libpq5.so:

Oh, interesting. I'd seen an actual error on prairiedog, but apparently
some other linkers just silently omit the export, if the symbol is in
a .a file rather than .o.

> Is this is a problem for libpq5 users?

I proposed in
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/19581.1538077716@sss.pgh.pa.us

that we should remove pqsignal, as well as
pg_utf_mblen
pg_encoding_to_char
pg_char_to_encoding
pg_valid_server_encoding
pg_valid_server_encoding_id

from libpq's exports, on the grounds that (a) nobody should be using
those (they're undocumented as exports), and (b) anybody who is using
them should get them from libpgport/libpgcommon instead. Thoughts?