Re: Re: COPY error: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly

From: Lee Joramo <lee(dot)list(at)joramo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: postgre general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: COPY error: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly
Date: 2001-01-10 15:34:52
Lists: pgsql-general

>> general opinion on the Cobalt mailing lists is that upgrading Postgre is
>> a very delicate task.
[SNIP]

>Check, at least not without practicing on a spare machine first ;-).
>
>One thing to think about is that there's no fundamental reason why you'd
>have to update the version of Postgres used by the OS. You could
>install 7.0.* alongside 6.5, use 7.0 for your own purposes and leave the
>OS untouched.

Yes, I do this myself with perl and python. And if I had a spare and
local Cobalt RaQ3, I'd try it with postgre. But again, I won't try this
with our public web server.

When it comes to installing software on various unix flavors, I am able
to compile from source. If program does not work right away I normally
can beat it into submission. Even if I was an order of magnitude more
skilled at installs, I don't think I would attempt this particular
installation.

lee.