Re: Re: What needs to be done?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: Gunnar Rønning <gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com>, Anders Bengtsson <ndrsbngtssn(at)yahoo(dot)se>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: What needs to be done?
Date: 2001-08-03 06:30:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com> writes:
> This is what I think needs to be done wrt large objects and binary data
> support ...
> [ much snipped ]
> As you can probably guess I don't like the current implementation of
> large objects in postgresql

Yup, I got that ;-).

While these seem like good changes in the long run, I'm concerned about
breaking existing client apps wholesale. Is it feasible to have a
backwards-compatibility mode? I wouldn't even insist that it be the
default behavior --- but adding a one-line "set backwards-compatible
mode" kind of call seems better than major rewrites, for apps that
depend on the old behavior.