Re: patch - per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch - per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost
Date: 2009-11-14 21:58:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> .... pg_tablespace, on the other hand, only contains one
> type of object: a tablespace. So, if we stored the options as text[],
> we'd parse them out into a C struct just as we do for pg_class, but
> unlike the pg_class case, it would always be the *same* C struct.

The same, until it's different. There is no reason at all to suppose
that the set of options people will want to apply to a tablespace will
remain constant over time --- in fact, I don't think there's even a
solid consensus right now on which GUCs people would want to set at the
tablespace level. I don't believe it is wise to hardwire this into the
catalog schema. Yes, it would look marginally nicer from a theoretical
standpoint, but we'd be forever having to revise the schema, plus a lot
of downstream code (pg_dump for example); which is not only significant
work but absolutely prevents making any adjustments except at major
version boundaries. And I don't see any concrete benefit that we get
out of a hardwired schema for these things. It's not like we care about
optimizing searches for tablespaces having a particular option setting,
for example.