Re: Fixing broken permissions for deleted user

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Justin Pasher" <justinp(at)newmediagateway(dot)com>
Cc: "'Richard Huxton'" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixing broken permissions for deleted user
Date: 2007-05-18 04:15:30
Lists: pgsql-general

"Justin Pasher" <justinp(at)newmediagateway(dot)com> writes:
> Perfect. Just was I was looking for. So is it safe to actually run an update
> on the pg_catalog.pg_type.typowner column to change the user id from 101 to
> another existing user id without causing any other database weirdness?

Should work. In recent PG versions you would need to worry about
pg_shdepend entries too, but if you had pg_shdepend you would not have
been able to get into this state in the first place (in theory anyway).

Some general suggestions about manual changes to the system catalogs:
Reasonable prudence would suggest making the change inside a BEGIN block
and looking around for problems before you COMMIT. If you're really
paranoid, you could first stop the postmaster and take a plain tarball
backup of the PGDATA directory tree, which would certainly let you get
back to where you were if things go horribly wrong.