Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-10 19:30:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> I'd be tempted to make a startup packet that will allow libpq to revert
> back to old protocols easily enough for the future so that we can do=20
> incremental changes to the protocol.

We already have that: you send a startup packet with a version less than
the latest, and the backend speaks that version to you.

One thing I want to do though is relax the protocol-level constraints
on certain message contents: for example, if ErrorMessage becomes a
collection of labeled fields, it should be possible to add new field
types without calling it a protocol revision. The protocol need only
specify "ignore any fields whose label you do not recognize".