Re: Row Limit on tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "shey sewani" <pakix2000(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row Limit on tables
Date: 2002-05-31 17:39:37
Lists: pgsql-general

"shey sewani" <pakix2000(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> Is there a limit on the number of rows you can have in a table?

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#4.5

The smallest useful row size would probably be 40 bytes (2 int columns
plus 32 bytes overhead), so 16TB/40 = 400 billion rows is the most you
could possibly fit given the table size limit (unless you raise BLCKSZ
to 32K, which would give you another factor of 4).

In practice, "what will fit on your disk" is the limit.

> Couple experts have predicted that 20Million or 200Million was the
> limit.

These "experts" evidently have no clue what they are talking about.
Perhaps they neglected to read the thread running parallel to this
one that mentions throwaway tests on 500M-row tables...

I saw nearby a claim that count(*) would fail at 2G rows --- but
count(*) returns int8 in 7.2 and later.