Re: Messed up time zones

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Messed up time zones
Date: 2012-08-03 16:38:11
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com> writes:
> I have intentionally chosen an example where the local time is changed
> from summer time to winter time (e.g. local time suddenly "goes back"
> one hour). It demonstrates that you cannot use "at time zone ...."
> expression to convert a timestamptz into a desired time zone manually.

Um, yes you can. The trick is to use a timezone name, not an
abbreviation, in the AT TIME ZONE construct (for instance,
'Europe/Budapest' not just 'CET'). That will do the rotation
in a DST-aware fashion.

> As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to set the system's clock to UTC,
> store everything in timestamp field (in UTC), and use a program to
> convert fetched values before displaying them.

[ shrug... ] If you really insist on re-inventing that wheel, go
ahead, but it sounds to me like you'll just be introducing additional
points of failure.