Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster

From: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)mailpen(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster
Date: 2021-06-10 19:29:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On 2021-06-10 11:23, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 6/10/21 2:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)mailpen(dot)com> writes:
>>> ... Do I need quotes on the command line?
>>> I read [the manual] before posting, but missed that. Old command line patterns die hard!
>>> However, the result was the same: 3.5GB before running out of space.
>> [ experiments... ] Looks like you gotta do it like this:
>>
>> pg_dumpall '--exclude-database="MailPen"' ...
>>
>> This surprises me, as I thought it was project policy not to case-fold command-line arguments (precisely because you end up needing weird quoting to prevent that).
> Ouch. That looks like a plain old bug. Let's fix it. IIRC I just used the same logic that we use for pg_dump's --exclude-* options, so we need to check if they have similar issues.
>
> cheers, andrew

That works!  I thought it was a quoting/case issue!  I was next going to
try single quotes just outside double quotes, & that works as well (& is
a bit more natural):

pg_dumpall -U Admin --exclude-database='"MailPen"' >zzz.sql

Using mixed case has bitten me before, but I am not deterred!  I run
phpBB 3.0.14 (very old version) because upgrades to more current
versions fail on the mixed case of the DB name, as well as the use of
SCHEMAs to isolate the message board from the rest of the data. Yes, I
reported it years ago.

I use lower-case for column, VIEW, & function names;  mixed (camel) case
for table, schema, & database names;  & upper-case for SQL keywords.  It
helps readability (as does murdering a couple semicolons in the prior
sentence).