Re: REASSIGN OWNED lacks support for FDWs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: REASSIGN OWNED lacks support for FDWs
Date: 2012-02-20 15:37:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> As per http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2012-02/msg00304.php
>> there is no switch case in shdepReassignOwned for foreign data wrappers.
>>
>> The obvious short-term answer (and probably the only back-patchable one)
>> is to add a case for that object type. But after all the refactoring
>> that's been done in the general area of this type of command, I'm a bit
>> surprised that shdepReassignOwned still looks like this. Can't we merge
>> this knowledge into someplace where it doesn't have to be maintained
>> separately?

> Hmm. I guess we could add function pointers to the ObjectProperty
> array in objectaddress.c. Then we could just search the array for the
> catalog ID and call the associated function through the function
> pointer, rather than having a switch in shdepReassignOwned(). Since
> anyone adding a new object type ought to be looking at objectaddress.c
> anyway, that would be one less place for people to forget to update.

I was wondering more whether there isn't some single entry point that
would allow access to ALTER OWNER functionality for any object type.
If we still are in a situation where new shdepReassignOwned-specific
code has to be written for every object type, it's not really much
better.

BTW, code freeze for the upcoming releases is Thursday ... is anyone
going to actually fix this bug before then? I'm unlikely to find
the time myself.