Re: improve installation short version

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: improve installation short version
Date: 2021-06-02 21:36:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 6/2/21 4:58 PM, Mark Dilger wrote:
>> Prior to where your patch makes changes, the docs say, "If you are building PostgreSQL for Microsoft Windows, read this chapter if you intend to build with MinGW or Cygwin". I think going on to tell the users to use `su` is a bit odd. Does that exist in standard MinGW and Cygwin environments? I thought "run as" was the Windows option for this.

> Yes, good point. We should fix that. Yes, "runas" is a sort of su.
> There's no adduser either.

There's a whole lot of Unix systems that don't spell that command
as "adduser", either. That whole recipe has to be understood as
a guide, not something you can blindly copy-and-paste.

Maybe what we really need is an initial disclaimer saying something
along the lines of "Here's approximately what you need to do; adapt
these commands per local requirements."

And then, perhaps, change the last line to "For more detail, see
the rest of this chapter".