Re: timestamp with time zone a la sql99

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp with time zone a la sql99
Date: 2004-10-22 21:48:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> That is needed no matter what change you do if you want old programs that
>> use the current timestamp with time zone to work. Today you don't get back
>> the same time zone as you insert, programs might depend on that.

> [ shrug... ] We've made much larger changes than that in the name of
> standards compliance.

BTW, even if you do want output like that, that doesn't make two
datatypes a good idea. It'd be better to add a couple of DateStyle-like
formatting options:
* rotate all timestamps into current TimeZone for display, or not;
* display the timezone numerically, or as originally given.

A DateStyle kind of GUC variable is a lot less dangerous than what you
were proposing, because getting it wrong doesn't mean you have the wrong
data stored in the database ...