Re: Logical replication in the same cluster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical replication in the same cluster
Date: 2017-04-26 22:02:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 26/04/17 18:59, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> ... it just hangs. My server logs say:

> Yes that's result of how logical replication slots work, the transaction
> that needs to finish is your transaction. It can be worked around by
> creating the slot manually via the SQL interface for example and create
> the subscription using WITH (NOCREATE SLOT, SLOT NAME = 'your slot') .

If that's a predictable deadlock, I think a minimum expectation is that
the system should notice it and throw an error, not just hang. (Then
the error could give a hint about how to work around it.) But the case
Bruce has in mind doesn't seem like a crazy use-case to me. Can't we
make it "just work"?