Why vacuum_index_cleanup is needed for TOAST relations?

From: Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Why vacuum_index_cleanup is needed for TOAST relations?
Date: 2019-07-05 12:28:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am importing recent changes into my reloption patch and came to a question,
I did not find an answer...

vacuum_index_cleanup option exists for both heap and toast relations.

As I understand from documentation index cleanup is about is about reporting
access method that some tuples in table that were indexed are dead, and should
be cleaned.

And as far as I get, we do not index any TOAST tuples directly. They are
obtained by getting relation tuple, and then deTOAST it.

So I do not understand why do we need vacuum_index_cleanup for TOAST tables.
May be we should remove it from there??

Or if I am wrong, can you explain where it is needed?

--
Software Developer: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~014a87e140ff02c0da
Body-oriented Therapist: https://vk.com/nataraj_rebalancing (Russian)