Re: default of max_stack_depth

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default of max_stack_depth
Date: 2010-08-06 14:53:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> The initial value needs to be small until we have been able to probe
>> rlimit and figure out what is safe.

> Thanks! How about adding the comment about that as follows?

I added this:

/*
* We use the hopefully-safely-small value of 100kB as the compiled-in
* default for max_stack_depth. InitializeGUCOptions will increase it if
* possible, depending on the actual platform-specific stack limit.
*/

although I don't entirely see the point. We are certainly not going to
comment every variable whose compiled-in default gets changed by later
processing.