Re: pg_hba.conf problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: JWDougherty <jwdougherty(at)mcihispeed(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf problem
Date: 2004-02-22 22:44:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

JWDougherty <jwdougherty(at)mcihispeed(dot)net> writes:
> I have run into a problem with the vanilla pg_hba.conf with 7.34. While most
> normal local operations work as they ought, I found that when attempting use
> postgresqs from GRASS that an error was returned due to a problem with the
> pg_hba.conf file. The error message is:

> LOG: parse_hba: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file at line 45, token "TYPE"
> FATAL: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details

I've been trying to think of an explanation for this, but it's hard to
come up with one, if your pg_hba.conf is indeed factory-stock. Did you
build PG from source, or is it from somebody's RPM distribution? (Some
distributions supply modified pg_hba files.) For that matter, what
platform is this on anyway?