Re: undefined symbol in create new function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel Dudley <Joel(dot)Dudley(at)DevelopOnline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: undefined symbol in create new function
Date: 2001-03-28 19:04:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Joel Dudley <Joel(dot)Dudley(at)DevelopOnline(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks for your help. I had to clarify though, are you saying that it is
> impossible to do what I am trying to do? Thank you for your time.

No, you just have to realize that Postgres string values are not
null-terminated and so you can't manipulate them with the usual C
library string functions that expect to work on null-terminated strings.
At least not unless you convert them to null-terminated form first.

Try studying some of the built-in text mashing functions. textcat()
and nearby routines in src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c would be good
starting points.

regards, tom lane