Re: pg_amcheck contrib application

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_amcheck contrib application
Date: 2021-03-13 06:55:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mar 12, 2021, at 10:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> On Mar 12, 2021, at 10:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Coping with both endiannesses might be painful.
>
>> Not too bad if the bigint value is zero, as both the low and high 32bits will be zero, regardless of endianness. The question is whether that gives up too much in terms of what the test is trying to do. I'm not sure that it does, but if you'd rather solve this by upgrading perl, that's ok by me.
>
> I don't mind updating the perl installations on prairiedog and gaur,
> but Noah might have some difficulty with his AIX flotilla, as I believe
> he's not sysadmin there.
>
> You might think about using some symmetric-but-not-zero value,
> 0x01010101 or the like.

I thought about that, but I'm not sure that it proves much more than just using zero. The test doesn't really do much of interest with this value, and it doesn't seem worth complicating the test. The idea originally was that perl's "q" pack code would make reading/writing a number such as 12345678 easy, but since it's not easy, this is easy.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company