Re: pgxs: build infrastructure for extensions v4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgxs: build infrastructure for extensions v4
Date: 2004-07-26 05:16:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> Please find attached another new version of a patch which provides a
>> working infrastructure for pg extensions.

> This patch breaks building outside the source tree in a very elaborate
> and obvious way. Unfortunately, this is all tied together so I haven't
> figured out yet if it can be fixed easily.

Peter, do you have time before the end of the month to sort this out?
It would be nice to have a real solution in this area, because certainly
we have some problems here.

> I think by now I'm looking for a patch that does not
> touch contrib at all (except perhaps contrib-global.mk).

I would think that we'd want to make the contrib tree use whatever
solution is developed for building outside the main source tree, simply
because that's a handy test case for verifying that it's not broken.

I won't commit hara-kiri if this is not solved for 7.5, but it is an
open issue, especially for RPM and similar package installations.
If Fabien's work is at all close to a usable solution, it'd be a shame
not to get it done in this release cycle.